[botan-devel] Building Botan trunk on Windows

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Mon Feb 10 17:50:20 EST 2014

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 06:19:24PM +0100, Marcel wrote:

> First, the configure.py script seems to recognize --without-boost, but doesn't act accordingly. There is still <boost/filesystem.hpp> included in cert/x509/certstor.cpp:9.

Thank you for pointing this out; the use of Boost in the library is
very new and still has some sharp edges. I've fixed this problem for
future releases.

> Second, after I built boost-filesystem I couldn't figure out a way to tell
> configure.py where to find it (to build a shared lib).

At the moment configure.py doesn't know how to deal with this at all, something
which affects the use of any of the 3rd party libs (zlib, etc). I plan to have
better support for this in the future but at the moment having libs in
'unexpected' (ie outside of the normal compiler search path) requires directly
hacking the generated makefile to add the appropriate -L/path/to/lib flags.

> I fixed that by including boost through the qmake project config. Now g++
> gives me exactly 2677 errors. The first few look like this:
> http://pastebin.com/RzTN7VBw

All of the errors in the paste come from the use of AVX2 intrinsics. I'm not
sure why this would fail, perhaps the current MinGW GCC doesn't support them?
Or there may well be a problem in the code or build config; the use of AVX2 is
also very new and not well tested. In any case, you can work around by passing
`--disable-avx2` to configure. The only thing you lose by doing this, at least
at the moment, is the AVX2 Threefish implementation.

Hope this helps,