[botan-devel] Linker error: Botan::ASN1::to_string(Botan::BER_Object const&)

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Thu Nov 13 08:58:42 EST 2014

On Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 01:50:17PM +0100, A. Klitzing wrote:
41;297;0c> Hi there,

> we uses Botan 1.10.8 (with cvc module) to parse some ASN1 stuff. But we
> have a linker problem here if botan is built as shared library.
>
> undefined reference to `Botan::ASN1::to_string(Botan::BER_Object const&)'
>
> If we link against a static library of botan it works flawlessly.
>
> Do you have any hint for us?

That function is missing a BOTAN_DLL annotation so it does not get
exported by the DLL. Are you calling this function directly in your
code? If so hacking a BOTAN_DLL into the declaration should fix it. If
not it points to possibly some other issue (probably with cvc) so I'd
want to investigate further in that case.

Thanks,