[botan-devel] Linker error on OS X 10.11.2

john skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Dec 30 06:36:18 EST 2015

> On 30 Dec 2015, at 22:29, Simon Warta | Kullo <simon at kullo.net> wrote:
>
> Am 30.12.2015 um 12:15 schrieb john skaller:
>> This directly patches the library. It only works if the existing name
>> is longer than the new name (AFAIK).
>
> I think you're mixing this up with RPATH on Linux, where the tool
> chrpath indeed has exactly that restriction (confirm BUGS section in
> `man chrpath`).
>
> On OS X I never came across similar restrictions. In fact we're
> expanding the path length in the Botan build process without issues and
> do the same dozens of times when deploying Qt dylibs with Kullo.

OSX 10.10:

INSTALL_NAME_TOOL(1)                                      INSTALL_NAME_TOOL(1)

NAME
       install_name_tool - change dynamic shared library install names

SYNOPSIS
       install_name_tool  [-change  old  new  ]  ...  [-rpath  old  new  ] ...
       [-add_rpath new ] ... [-delete_rpath new ] ... [-id name] file

DESCRIPTION
       Install_name_tool changes the dynamic shared library install names  and
       or  adds,  changes  or  deletes the rpaths recorded in a Mach-O binary.
       For this tool to work when the install names or rpaths are  larger  the
       binary  should  be  built  with  the ld(1) -headerpad_max_install_names
       option.

—
john skaller
skaller at users.sourceforge.net