[botan-devel] Current github code doesn't install - install.py script problem

Simon Warta | Kullo simon at kullo.net
Fri Jul 10 17:56:44 EDT 2015

Hi Uri,

> Well, on one hand - yes it is great to be able to get the docs. But on
> the other hand, some installations are space-constrained, and may not
> want to spend an extra megabyte or so to keep the docs online.

Where do you install that you care for a megabyte or two?

> My preference here would be to have an _option_ of installing the docs
> to $PREFIX/share - but not _forcing_ the docs to be installed regardless
> of whether the user wants/needs them or not. For example, I seldom use
> HTML-based docs, so I personally wouldn’t keep them in /share. I would
> add a make target “install-docs”, and would _not_ make that target
> a-must for a successful install. It was rather frustrating to be unable
> to use the library because some docs that I don’t care about anyway
> didn’t get installed. :-)

Botan has already soooo many options and each switch doubles the amount
of possible configurations that need to be maintained in order to avoid
frustrations experiences as 'make install' not working.

If you really care about installation size, feel free to just copy the
handful of files you need.

> I keep a lot of the docs I need/use on a separate drive in PDF or LaTeX.
> It’s my workflow, I’m not suggesting it’s better than what somebody else
> is using. The point is - when sphinx formats the docs (from the source
> code) to LaTeX, in several places the lines exceed the page width and
> get truncated. It confused me at first, but then I realized that it’s
> the consequence of treating “Verbatim” the .c++ source files that
> contain unpleasantly long lines. I’m going to track down as many of
> those as I can, and manually correct (by inserting line breaks in the
> source code :). Would that change be accepted, and what’s the best way
> to submit it?

Where and how is Latex output produced? I think there is rst and HTML
only (I am not familiar with sphinx).

If the change does not harm the readability of the C++ code, feel free
to submit your changes as a pull request on Github.

>> We'll add `make install` to the CI as soon as possible to avoid
>> this kind of errors in the future.
>
> Great! Thanks!

You're welcome, it is in since today.

Best,

Simon from Kullo

--
Simon Warta
Co-Founder / CEO Kullo

Telefon: 0175-1930541
E-Mail: simon at kullo.net
Kullo: simon#kullo.net

Kullo GmbH
Kranzplatz 5-6
65183 Wiesbaden

Vertretungsberechtigte Geschäftsführer:
Simon Warta, Daniel Seither

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Wiesbaden
Registernummer: HRB 27626

Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer gemäß §27 a Umsatzsteuergesetz:
DE294537976

Standort Berlin:
Kullo GmbH
c/o Beuth Hochschule