[botan-devel] Managed wrapper for .NET

john skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jun 12 23:21:17 EDT 2015

On 13/06/2015, at 10:52 AM, Jack Lloyd wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 13, 2015 at 07:57:15AM +1000, john skaller wrote:
>
>> Why does botan require a library initialiser object?
>
> Mostly because I did not understand what a problem such an object is
> in real applications. In 1.11.14 I made many changes in order to
> remove global state and since then the initializer has been a no-op. I
> hope to keep it that way, and eventually declare it obsolete.

Good work! If you need state, the right way is to create a state
object and pass it everywhere.

Unfortunately a lot of libraries don't do that. However there are
times you do need global state, because you're dealing with
an already broken design.

Er .. such as Unix. Signals anyone? Errno? Uggh.
Much less excuse for newer libraries. Such as OpenGL. Grrr ... :)

--
john skaller
skaller at users.sourceforge.net
http://felix-lang.org