[botan-devel] Call for testing before 2.4.0

Jack Lloyd jack at randombit.net
Tue Dec 26 10:57:39 EST 2017

Botan is on track for a new feature release on January 8th. This is a call for
pre-release testing. Any bugs found now can still be fixed in time for the
release.

There are a lot of changes in this release most notably

 - FFDHE extension for TLS
 - Improve logic of X.509 path validation in corner cases
 - Internal refactoring of X509 certificates, fixing many bugs
 - Improved support for UTF-8 in ASN.1 strings and X.509 certs
 - Support for RSA-PSS signatures in X.509 certificates
 - Many optimizations, especially GCM mode is much faster
 - Major changes/cleanups to the build system, none of which should cause any
   visible changes beyond newly supported options. But we may have broken
   something.

Full release notes here https://github.com/randombit/botan/blob/master/news.rst

Beyond the usual CI targets I've tested the current version on Linux on several
arches (x86-64, ppc64, aarch64, armv7), AIX on ppc64, and FreeBSD, OpenBSD,
NetBSD, OpenIndiana and Haiku on x86-64.

What would help:

 - Application integration testing. Just build the library as you normally do,
   build your app, and make sure everything works as expected. If something that
   used to work in 2.0-2.3 doesn't work anymore, it's a bug and should be fixed.

 - Mobile testing: currently in CI we only build for Android/iOS and do not run
   the tests. So someone testing a full build/test on any or all of Android,
   iOS, or Windows Mobile would be very helpful.

 - Cygwin/MinGW testing: we test MinGW in a Linux->Windows cross configuration
   but it would be nice to test it running on Windows. And Cygwin build is not
   tested at all.

 - QNX. I know people are using Botan on it but I don't have access to a working
   dev environment anymore.

 - Testing other CPUs. Intel, ARM and POWER probably covers 99% of what people
   care about these days but it would be great to confirm everything is ok on
   MIPS, SPARC, S/390, IA-64 etc if someone has the hardware.

You can get a snapshot from https://github.com/randombit/botan/archive/master.tar.gz
or just checkout latest master from git.

Report any results either by replying to this email or by commenting in
the release ticket https://github.com/randombit/botan/issues/1240

Thanks!