[botan-devel] Picking minimum supported version of Windows

Jack Lloyd jack at randombit.net
Fri Jul 12 10:30:33 EDT 2019

We have run into an issue where we need to pick a minimum supported Windows
version - https://github.com/randombit/botan/issues/2028

Right now the build is by status quo mostly compatible with Windows XP.  However
as a project policy we explicitly don't support operating systems not supported
by the original vendor, which includes XP and Vista. In January 2020, Windows
Server 2008 and Windows 7 also EOL.

My initial feel was to first require a min version of Server 2008, then increase
that to Windows 8 in January since as of January 15th, Windows 8 is the oldest
supported version. Howerver online stats indicate that ~30% of all Windows
machines are Windows 7, and if we break compat with all of those that may be a
problem.

So the current proposal is as follows:

- Immediately (starting with next release in October) require min API version
  Windows Server 2008/Windows 7.

- Starting in January (effectively coming in the April 2020 release) drop
  Windows Server 2008 support, but retain Windows 7 even though it is EOL.

We'd retain Windows 7 support until the market share drops to below 10% or so.

I'm not a Windows developer by any means, so perhaps there are problems with
this plan that we are not recognizing. If so please either comment on the github
issue or reply here.

Thanks,