[cryptography] Fwd: [gsc] Fwd: OpenBSD IPSEC backdoor(s)

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Wed Dec 15 15:36:09 EST 2010

Oh, come on.

The summary of this is: I worked on X_1, X_2, ... X_n. I used to have a clearance but now I don't, so therefore what I'm saying is true. You can trust me because I've been quoted by the New York Times. Here's what I said.

It is certainly possible that there are back doors somewhere. But this is just chaff. It has not yet risen to the level of gossip. It's far more like the Cretan paradox than anything else. It's kinda saying: all government people are evil, you can trust me on that because I used to be a government person. Riiiiiiiight.

I want to see description of the back door. Part of the reason is that we can't even assess whether it is a real back door, as opposed to (e.g.) a suboptimal implementation without a description. For example, I can remember people saying that a fixed shared secret is a back door. I can empathize with frustration over something like that, but even if a fixed shared secret is done with ill-intent, it's not what I'd call a back door.

Facts. I want facts. Failing facts, I want a *testable* accusation. Failing that, I want a specific accusation.

	Jon