[cryptography] Fwd: [gsc] Fwd: OpenBSD IPSEC backdoor(s)

Bernie Cosell bernie at fantasyfarm.com
Fri Dec 17 10:53:47 EST 2010

On 17 Dec 2010 at 17:30, Peter Gutmann wrote:

> ...There'll be no way to tell whether any of the dozens of
> tweaks and changes are a backdoor or not.  How would you tell whether
> something like a cast "( uint32_t ) /* For Solaris 9 with the SunPro 4.2
> compiler */" is be a portability fix or a backdoor?  If I wanted to backdoor
> something, I'd go for private-key leakage in DLP PKCs, which are notoriously
> bad in terms of leaking key bits if you even look at them funny.

Of course, there's always the famous backdoor Ken Thompson put into the
Unix login program:

<http://scienceblogs.com/goodmath/2007/04/strange_loops_dennis_ritchie_a.p
hp>

I have no idea how you'd find that if you even suspected something was
amiss.

  /Bernie\

mailto:bernie at fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA