[cryptography] Quantum crypto and the world cup

Ian G iang at iang.org
Wed Jun 23 01:59:27 EDT 2010

The security world in general (including crypto) is far more sensitive
than it ought to be to mass media.  This is primarily because security
is an information-asymmetric or information-poor world.  Which is to
say, as a society, we simply don't know enough how to do this thing
called security.

As we have doubts that quantum crypto has practical advantages over what
we already have, it's better to view it as not a security project at
all.  It's a business proposition.  Can the business of quantum
cryptography create enough media perception that it is worthy of funding?

This is a time-honoured game.  It is huge driver in science, and large
enough to poison the very science of science.  So it's no wonder that
these sort of things pop up from time to time.

And, it's a no-brainer for a publicity circus such as World Cup and
Elections and the like to employ every other publicity circus out there
to assist.  Why not?  Publicity is the measure, not science.

PT Barnham said it, there's no bad publicity in the circus business.

iang