[cryptography] Quantum crypto and the world cup

Patrick Chkoreff patrick at rayservers.net
Wed Jun 23 08:55:36 EDT 2010

Ian G wrote, On 06/23/2010 01:59 AM:

>> Quantum crypto employed at world cup in South Africa:
>> http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/06/21/world-cup-security-uses-physics-thwart-hackers/

Silly goose, you with your phancy photons.  You need to secure the
communication between the stadium and local police?  Set up a VPN.

>> 2. There is a wealthy customer who is organizing the event, and who
>> is ready to pay for "unbreakable data protection"

Oh I see, a wealthy patron of the black arts.  By all means take his
money, this is how the arts advance.

>> And as a warning to all who use classical crypto here is the
>> sentence from the article: "Traditional means of encrypting such a
>>  key use mathematical functions that are difficult -- but not
>> impossible -- to undo."
>>
>> wow :-)

Pretty funny right?  AES-128 is plenty strong for what they're doing,
even without dedicated fiber.  Hackers aren't going to try cracking the
crypto anyway, they'll focus on cracking the entry points into the
system.  Even people in government would rather strong-arm someone (e.g.
a certificate authority or other private key holder) before trying to
crack any crypto.

-- Patrick