[cryptography] Metzdowd List

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Mar 12 18:24:52 EST 2010

On Mar 12, 2010, at 5:57 PM, David G. Koontz wrote:

> On 13 Mar 10 10:13 AM, Dustin D. Trammell wrote:
>> Does anyone have any idea why the Metzdowd Cryptography list died?  I
>> hadn't seen or heard anything about it other than the abrupt stop in
>> messages from that list.
>
> This was found by googling between Nov 1, 2009 and March 13, 2010.  Had a
> date of 27 Jan 2010.  The google cache date is 12 Feb 2010.
>
> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~pmetzger/
> Perry E. Metzger
> Email: pmetzger at-sign cis.upenn.edu
> Office: Moore 102 (DSL)
>
> I'm a doctoral student in CIS, working for Matt Blaze and Jonathan Smith.
>
> Someday, this web page may be interesting. However, this is not someday.
>
> --
>
> Seems Perry is busy.
>
> There was also a hit on 31 Nov 2009:
>
> http://old.nabble.com/who%27s-coming-out-tonight--td22607955.html
>
> A NetBSD forum, regional-nyc.
>
> Alas for Bill Shaw's post (25 Feb 2010):
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.crypt/msg/8eadc3403779284e?dmode=source
>
> No indication Perry is deceased either voluntarily or not.  Looks like he
> simply made changes in his life.

At least as of early this morning, Perry -- or someone answering his email -- was alive and well.  The status information on his upenn Web page (i.e., that he's a PhD student now) is indeed accurate.  I do know that he's not very reachable this week; he may not even know about the creation of this list yet.  If he so chooses, he'll join; if he wants to relay a message via me or someone else, he'll do that.  I think there's really not much more to say -- his list is quiescent for whatever reason; this list exists.  We'll see how it goes.