[cryptography] OpenSSL 1.0.0 released

James Muir muir.james.a at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 10:12:12 EDT 2010

Arturo Quirantes wrote:
>         I  wonder  if  the  new release includes a patch to the recently
> attack by Pellegrini et al:
> http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~valeria/research/publications/DATE10RSA.pdf
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/04/severe_openssl_vulnerability/
>
> and, if not, when will it be available.

It's not clear to me that anything needs to be fixed in response to the
Michigan paper.  The example openssl application that those authors
targeted on the fpga board was a toy -- it did not incorporate any type
of message salting or formatting (e.g. PSS) and it did not utilize
message blinding.  If there is an application out there that creates RSA
signatures without using a padding scheme, then my feeling is that they
have bigger problems than fault attacks :-)

For reference, see the following two posts (mine and B. Laurie's) on
Perry's list:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg11117.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography@metzdowd.com/msg11120.html

-James