[cryptography] short signature scheme?

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Mon Nov 8 12:32:35 EST 2010

On Nov 8, 2010, at 7:51 AM, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> I am looking for a short signature scheme (certainly shorter than RSA signatures, as short as possible would be nice...) that is *patent-free* and (less important) easy to implement. Any suggestions?

To generalize what Adam said, DSA (and that includes ECDSA) is 2x the hash size. If you're willing to settle for a 160-bit hash, then it's 40 bytes. If you need to use a 256-bit hash, it's the obvious 64.

Most other signatures schemes have signatures that are proportional to the size of the key, which could work to your advantage depending on a lot of variables.

	Jon