[cryptography] NSA's position in the dominance stakes

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 16 05:47:29 EST 2010

On 2010-11-16 1:36 PM, Marsh Ray wrote:
> All I know is that it is said that one can do asymmetric crypto with
> elliptic curves using keys a bit shorter than RSA, but that those who do
> so sometimes end up paying ++$M. From my perspective, this is
> effectively equivalent to the algorithm having a rather severe form of
> security vulnerability.

I don't think that elliptic curves are more patented or less patented
than everything else.  The proposition that there are unusual patent
hazards looks like FUD to me.

Everything you need to do public key ECC was published twenty five years
ago, so patents that stop you from using ECC are like patents that stop
you from using the wheel.

Now you cannot scratch your bum without violating someone's patent
claim, but bums get itchy regardless.