[cryptography] NSA's position in the dominance stakes

Paul Hoffman paul.hoffman at vpnc.org
Tue Nov 16 10:50:42 EST 2010

At 8:47 PM +1000 11/16/10, James A. Donald wrote:
>On 2010-11-16 1:36 PM, Marsh Ray wrote:
>>All I know is that it is said that one can do asymmetric crypto with
>>elliptic curves using keys a bit shorter than RSA, but that those who do
>>so sometimes end up paying ++$M. From my perspective, this is
>>effectively equivalent to the algorithm having a rather severe form of
>>security vulnerability.
>
>I don't think that elliptic curves are more patented or less patented than everything else.  The proposition that there are unusual patent hazards looks like FUD to me.

+1

Marsh: could you be more specific on which patents you think apply to normal use of ECDSA and ECDH? Or were you just saying "because some company says they have patents, I believe them"? For extra credit, please read draft-mcgrew-fundamental-ecc-03.txt and suggest where it might be wrong.

--Paul Hoffman, Director
--VPN Consortium