[cryptography] ECC patent FUD

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 16 19:38:15 EST 2010

On 2010-11-17 9:25 AM, David G. Koontz wrote:
 > FRAND patent license  terms being incompatible with the GPL
 > in the face of Certicom's IPR disclosure:

"Disclosure" is an inappropriate term.

I have just "disclosed" that I have patented not just one
particular implementation of the wheel, but the very concept
of the wheel itself, and all you guys have to pay me before
you can drive anywhere.

Certicom is making a claim, not a disclosure.  Anyone can
claim anything and everything, and probably will.  You can
sue a Jew for being a ham sandwich, and if you pick the right
forum, will very likely win.

That is business in twentieth first century America, which is
why the two towers, and the buildings near them such as Park
51, are still down.