[cryptography] NSA's position in the dominance stakes

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Nov 18 15:07:04 EST 2010

>> Go to
>> http://docs.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/texas/txedce/2:2007cv00216/103383/112/
>> and read the document.  It says that the case is being dismissed
>> because the parties have settled.  It says nothing about why either
>> party chose to settle.

Having been involved in a fair number of patent suits, I can tell you
it's much more venal.

Certicom: You're infringing our patents.

Sony: They're junk.

Certicom: Prove it.  See you in court.

Sony, to their lawyers: How much will this cost?

Lawyers: This case is pretty simple, about $100K/yr for three years.

Sony: Yow!

Sony, to Certicom: If we pay you $100K, will you go away?

Certicom: Deal!

I don't know whether Certicom's intention was to do patent trolling,
but this is what trolls do, sue with weak patents in the knowledge
that it's cheaper for defendants to settle than to fight.

R's,
John