[cryptography] philosophical question about strengths and attacks at impossible levels

travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org
Thu Nov 18 21:43:22 EST 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 01:32:41PM -0500, Marsh Ray wrote:
> No one's yet published a preimage for MD5, a seriously broken 128 bit
> function, so I doubt you'll find anyone who will express confidence that
> they can find a preimage for any reasonable 384 or 512 bit hash function.

Only one property is seriously broken, and it's one that isn't always
relied upon, depending on the use.  For example, I don't think it
matters if you're hashing passwords.  Please correct me if I'm wrong,
because I was making this point with some fellow security engineers
the other day.
--
Good code works on most inputs; correct code works on all inputs.