[cryptography] NSA's position in the dominance stakes

Jon Callas jon at callas.org
Fri Nov 19 18:35:28 EST 2010

> I know they are patent free, and you know they are patent
> free, but Certicom does not admit they are patent free and it
> is not likely a judge or jury would be able to tell the
> difference.
>
> The history of patents is that is harder to enforce a valid
> patent in a application where it actually applies, than to
> enforce a totally and outrageously bogus patent, because the
> judge and the jury is likely to find a valid patent's
> application to a valid case entirely incomprehensible.
>
> Let us suppose you use Tate pairing key agreement, and
> Certicom's lawyer claims you are using MQV

 Forgive me, but that is insulting to both judges and juries. In that particular case, it is easy to defend because the question is "are you using MQV" and the answer is no.

> If you use the standard variable names for key agreement,
> Certicom will probably win.  Imagine yourself trying to
> explain to a judge and jury the irrelevance of variable
> names!
>
> Conversely, suppose you really are using MQV - but you have
> changed the variable names, and are using the Boost
> metaprogramming template library to create and utilize
> cryptographic types and operations.  Now imagine Certicom's
> lawyer trying to explain boost metaprogramming to a judge and
> jury!  Obviously he would not try.  He would instead claim
> that Certicom owns ECC no matter how implemented, and slip
> the judge a suitcase full of small unmarked bills.  What
> else could he do?

So you're saying that patent suits are won by bribing the judge?

Really?

> > Certicom has never been clear as to what all they claim
>
> If they were clear to us, they would be entirely
> incomprehensible to judges and juries.

No, Certicom has said that they own lots of patents and have a bunch more on the way, so why not just license the toolkit?

Presently, Certicom is no more, having been bought by RIM, and much of the silliness has ended.

Nonetheless, while the patent game is a stupid game in which the refs have, do, and will make bad calls, it is not, as you are saying a game ruled by corruption and bribery.