[cryptography] philosophical question about strengths and attacks at impossible levels

Rayservers support at rayservers.com
Sat Nov 20 09:19:07 EST 2010

Hello Ian,

On 19/11/10 23:39, Ian G wrote:
> On 20/11/10 6:26 AM, travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 12:29:07PM +1100, Ian G wrote:
>>> On this I would demure.  We do have a good metric:  losses.  Risk
>>> management starts from the business, and then moves on to how losses are
>>> effecting that business, which informs our threat model.
>>>
>>> We now have substantial measureable history of the results of open use
>>> of cryptography.  We can now substantially and safely predict the result
>>> of any of the familiar cryptographic components in widespread use,
>>> within the bounds of risk management.
>>>
>>> The result of 15-20 years is that nobody has ever lost money because of
>>> a cryptographic failure, to a high degree of reliability.  Certainly
>>> within the bounds of any open and/or commercial risk management model,
>>> including orders of magnitude of headroom.
>>
>> Does the fact that parts of Stuxnet was signed by two valid certs
>> count as a cryptographic failure?
>

> Short answer:  no.
>
> Medium answer:  if you look at the so-called Internet Threat Model [1] on which
> SSL was founded, the node was ruled outside the model [2]. Stolen valid certs
> are node problems not wire problems, and this is typically the assumption made
> in all certificate protocols.
>
> Longer answer:  Depends on who is arguing, and what follows is my especial
> counter-cultural opinion.  I am widely disagreed :)
>
> Typically, in promoting a technology, people will point at the cryptographic
> purity in a narrow fashion, and then market the protection delivered in a
> broader context.  This is called a bait & switch in the marketing world.
>
> With certificate-based protocols, the protection was technically founded on
> cryptographic and protocol perfection [3].  But the marketing was founded on
> wider application-level claims of scary MITMs stealing your credit cards.  So
> they show us a canonical layered security model:
>
>    1.  DES, MD5, AES, SHA1, etc.
>    2.  the raw protocol.
>    3.  the wider protocol informed by certificates.
>    4.  The protocol + certificates backed by CAs, assurance.
>    5.  The customary meanings encoded into libs & modules.
>    6.  The application.
>    7.  The businesses and minds of those exposed.
>
> Like an onion, we can peel it and get down to the layer we want.
>
> But, an attacker can also peel your onion.  So the attack is really against the
> complexity of SSL and family, as marketed and used.  Or, in the old aphorism of
> "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" the strength of the links is
> wildly mismatched.
>
> And this brings up the brittleness of the system:  it is far too complex, it is
> so complex that most people can't identify the disparity in strength between the
> different links of the chain.  Even industry insiders can't deal with the
> cognitive dissonance of connecting the titanic chain links of AES128 and SHA1 to
> the hemp rope of certificates and the daisies of user presentation.

That is a wonderful paragraph, marked as "important" in my mailbox, to use in
conversation with the wallflowers of the marketing world.

> The certificate family of protocols (broadly) is therefore likely always open to
> this sort of attack [4].
>
> Hence, putting all this together we can suggest that the cryptography was strong
> enough from around 56-DES+512-RSA, because this family of protocols was likely
> employed in modes with higher ring attacks.  And the current crusade to move
> from 1024 to 2048 is a crowd-pleasing affair [5].
>
> So, from a risk management perspective, we can comfortably predict that there
> will be a "low to very low" risk of cryptographic failure at any commonly
> deployed level [6];  this will remain the case until higher-order layers do a
> lot of work to make it more interesting for attackers to go deep.  From a
> business perspective, anyone who's spending time on the lower layers, at the
> expense of the higher layers, is negligent.
>
> As I say, highly counter-culture and widely disagreed :)

Naw, not from this chap, who is getting busy with the implications, having come
to similar conclusions and relieved to have all your writings to point to. So
keep writing !! Much appreciated !!!

Ray

> iang
>

> [1] http://www.iang.org/ssl/rescorla_1.html
>
> [2] http://iang.org/ssl/wytm.html  Note that I'm assuming that at this level
> there is an equivalence between SSL and code-signing and all the other
> certificate usages, because they all more or less leant on the original security
> model for SSL.
>
> [3] there have been only a few weaknesses (3?) since SSL v1, so as a protocol it
> has stood the test of time.  From a cryptographic pov only, and other family
> members haven't been tested as much.
>
> [4] if one were to draw a lesson from this, it would be something like:
>    Only end-to-end security is strong security;
>    modules-based or layer-based security is inherently weak and brittle
>    where the layers are not aligned together by one mind.
> Which would be fine, if we could reliably ensure that the system were only
> deployed in medium-security installations.  Hence:
> http://iang.org/ssl/h5_security_begins_at_the_application_and_ends_at_the_mind.html
>
> [5] On the crusades, I highly recommend this book:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_Popular_Delusions_and_the_Madness_of_Crowds
>

> [6] I'm assuming "open crypto" in all this.  I'm also excluding the academic
> hackers, as they are outside the loss metric.

Rayservers http://www.rayservers.com/

Zurich: +41 43 5000 728
London: +44 20 30 02 74 72
Panama: +507 832 1846
San Francisco: +1 408 419 1978
USA Toll Free: +1 888 265 5009
10:00 - 24:00 GMT

We prefer to be paid in gold Globals™ and silver Isles™
Global Standard™ - Global Settlement Foundation
http://www.global-settlement.org/

Our PGP key
0x079CCE10 on http://keyserver.rayservers.com/