[cryptography] patents and stuff (Re: NSA's position in the dominance stakes)

Adam Back adam at cypherspace.org
Sun Nov 21 03:32:13 EST 2010

Hi James

I think, a bit of ranting aside, what people dislike is that software
patents are a net lose to the economy, software progress and meritocracy.
The patent mine-field isnt good for the industry nor society as a whole as
it adds economic friction, uncertainty and therefore holds back progress.

That the system + or - works as it is defined or not isnt really the
question.

The problem is the way the patent system is defined has over time turned out
badly.  I have my name on a few patents.  Three of them originated when
someone asked a question and I said after literally 5 seconds of thought,
"sure you can do that".  And those are I think quality patents by the
standards.  That just cant be right.

Many of the issued patents arent even novel in the sense of "technically
slightly different" - prior art is evidently not being respected because few
are spending resources protecting it.

Adam