[cryptography] patents and stuff (Re: NSA's position in the dominance stakes)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Sun Nov 21 05:40:27 EST 2010

On 2010-11-21 6:32 PM, Adam Back wrote:
> badly. I have my name on a few patents. Three of them originated when
> someone asked a question and I said after literally 5 seconds of thought,
> "sure you can do that".

I have similar patents.  Further, it is perfectly clear that any patent
that is in fact legitimate, is not enforcible.  No such patent has ever
been upheld in court in recent times.  From what happens with existing
moronic patents, such as the one click patent, it is apparent that any
patent that was actually legitimate, would be so far beyond the legal
system that they would have no idea what you were talking about.

> Many of the issued patents arent even novel in the sense of "technically
> slightly different" - prior art is evidently not being respected because
> few
> are spending resources protecting it.

No, not so, prior art is not being respected because judges are corrupt
or ludicrously incompetent - again, the one click patent is the prize
example of judges being corrupt.  People *did* spend resources raising
prior art.