[cryptography] philosophical question about strengths and attacks at impossible levels

Peter Gutmann pgut001 at cs.auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 21 07:19:15 EST 2010

Ian G <iang at iang.org> writes:

>It sucks so badly, I decided in future that the only moral and ethical way
>one could use the words encryption or security or the like in any
>conversation was if the following were the case:
>
>     there is only one mode, and it is secure.

Something similar was done by the CORBA folks, they banned the use of the word
"trusted" unless it was accompanied by an explanation in the form of "by whom"
and "for what".

Having their magic pixie dust taken away like this reportedly caused severe
problems for some of the people involved...

Peter.