[cryptography] current digital cash / anonymous payment projects?

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Tue Nov 30 21:49:39 EST 2010

On 2010-12-01 5:12 AM, travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org wrote:
> Can anyone give me a good rundown of the current anonymous payment
> systems, technologies and/or algorithms?
>
> It's just an idea at this point, but I'd be interested in hearing
> about any commercial offerings by companies offering such systems.
>
> Being a cryptonerd, I'd also be interested in hearing about the
> technology generally - I've read Applied Crypto 2e, but wondered about
> the state of the art.  Is there a good locus of such information?

anonymous currency means something based on Chaum.

The technology is old and well known.  The problem is to apply it in a
user friendly fashion without going to jail.

Various implementations have been created, but are not widely used.

Internet money really needs to be integrated with communication
protocols, like the very successfull Chinese QCoin. (Which has no
privacy features whatever)

The bank of China cracked down on QCoin since it was giving official
money serious competition,.  One can imagine what they would have done
if it had privacy features.  Since it was a centally operated currency,
it was easy for them to crack down on it.