[cryptography] anyone know how OTP tokens work?

travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org
Tue Sep 7 17:17:59 EDT 2010

I'm curious how OTP tokens work.

They only emit a few digits, and they can be resynced with the server
by entering two values, so if I'm thinking correctly, two values must
capture the entire state of the device (the seed for a PRNG or
whatever they use).  I assume that there's something in place to
prevent an adversary from deriving the seed from two consecutive
output values, so I'm curious how that works.
--
It asked me for my race, so I wrote in "human". -- The Beastie Boys