[cryptography] is there an interation-incremental version of PBKDF2?

travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org
Fri Sep 10 13:29:32 EDT 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 10:32:11AM -0400, mheyman at gmail.com wrote:
> First of all, half a bit per log2 isn't quite true.
>
> See "Random Mapping Statistics", Flajolet, A Odlyzko, Advances in
> cryptology, EUROCRYPT'89, 1990
> <http://www.springerlink.com/index/32q2qh4n325evy7f.pdf>.
>
> The paper shows the bits of entropy lost is:
>    log2(1-t(k))
> where:
>    t(k+1) = e^(t(k)-1)

I have heard a similar analysis is in the HAC, which is also online
for free, though I haven't looked at it and compared to these results.

It (the short loop thing) came up in discussion of hash chains a while back.

I wonder if there are any known identities under hash functions.