[cryptography] "stream MAC" - does anything like it exist?

Chris Palmer chris at noncombatant.org
Wed Sep 15 01:58:36 EDT 2010

Arshad Noor writes:

> 	system.  Last I heard, we are all still free to travel where we
> 	want and how we want, in the US.

I believe this is where John Gilmore steps in...

Arshad, your argument seems to be that since we're already in an Orwellian
society (your words, referring to the EFF's NSA spying page), we might as
well take that last small step and buy your company's products to maximize
the efficiency and benefits of Total Authentication Awareness.

Well, no.

If the technological determinist hypothesis is true, it will be because we
made that choice (or, depending on your point of view, failed to be aware
the choice was being made for us).

That's another way of saying the hypothesis is not true. The people you are
responding to are rejecting the total authentication idea, and you're not
going to convince them by arguing that they might as well accept it because
parts of society have already accepted limited implementations of the idea.

For those of us who reject technological determinism, we can rest somewhat
assured knowing that technologists tend to over-promise and under-deliver.
It's never quite as efficient, secure, or helpful as they say, is it? :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technological_determinism

--
http://noncombatant.org/