[cryptography] ciphers with keys modifying control flow?

Sandy Harris sandyinchina at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 23:45:14 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Steven Bellovin <smb at cs.columbia.edu> wrote:

> Someone else pointed out BassOMatic, in PGP 1.0, which is exactly what I was looking for.

Most key material is mixed into the data with XOR, addition, IDEA multiplication
or whatever. You asked about key data used in the control path.

Where does something like the key-dependent rotations in CAST-128 or 256,
or the data dependent ones in RC5 or RC6 fit in? That key material is not
being mixed into the text, and it does control an operation, but I'm not sure
if it meets your criteria of interest.