[cryptography] Mobile Devices and Location Information as Entropy?

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Sat Apr 2 04:15:42 EDT 2011

On 04/02/2011 04:10 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Given a mobile device with GPS location data available, is there any
> benefit to using the location data as an entropy source?
>
> I'm wondering how useful GPS coordinates are if an adversary can
> determine location by triangulating a carrier's cell tower data.

Over some duration (assuming said GPS is on the move) or just at
some single fixed point in time?

At most, I would think you'd only be able to collect a few bits.
And I would think an adversary who has observed your travel patterns
might be able to exploit just about anything if your movements
are more or less predictable.

-kevin
--
Kevin W. Wall
We cause accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein, co-creator of MIME