[cryptography] Newbie Question

Randall Webmail rvh40 at insightbb.com
Thu Dec 1 23:43:36 EST 2011

From: "ianG" <iang at iang.org>

>It does store certs. It just takes above & beyond to get at them.
Unknown whether it stores certs that you reject.

I spend a lot of time in hotels, and it is VERY common for me to get one of those popups complaining about certificates when I connect to the hotel WiFi.

I am an almost-complete greenie WRT crypto, which is why I'm here to learn.

What is the proper thing to do when one of those things pops up? (It is NOT a rare event).

I use the "https everywhere" firefox extension on my OSX laptop. I do not access my bank accounts on public WiFi, but I really don't have a choice but to access webmail and gmail. What should I do when I get one of those cert warnings?