[cryptography] Law of unintended consequences?

ianG iang at iang.org
Wed Dec 7 04:28:39 EST 2011

On 7/12/11 13:47 PM, Benjamin Kreuter wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Dec 2011 12:34:37 +0100
> Adam Back<adam at cypherspace.org>  wrote:
>> Kids figure this stuff out getting through site restrictions on
>> school wifi also.  Some schools try to block popular web games.. eg
>> runescape.
> Let us not discourage either the children or the schools!  This sounds
> like an excellent way for children to pick up some technical skills
> and to learn about computer security.  If we must condition our
> children to think that censorship is the norm, at least we can also
> provide them with some decent education in the process.

Yes.  One of the unpleasant side effects from the western tendency to
demand solutions from politicians - make hacking illegal - is that it
has allowed a generation of programmers and businesses to dumb-down
security, making them more vulnerable to hackers who don't respect the law.

So if anything it's just caused the outsourcing of the hacking business
to places east of Europe, and the increase in profits potential.

Oh well.  I suppose the market cap for facebook and google justifies it.