[cryptography] Law of unintended consequences?

lodewijk andré de la porte lodewijkadlp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 20:01:17 EST 2011

I figured it'd be effective to create a "security awareness group" figuring
the most prominent (and only effective) way to show people security is a
priority is by placing a simple marking, something like "this site isn't
safe!" and contacting the owners with what the exploit is. That'd also
provide challenge to those who participate and it doesn't hurt anyone. I
think it's most likely a mind-spinoff of lulzsec's work, who took it to the
extreme.

It kind of shocked me that regardless of the good spirit of my idea, the
image of a happy hacker talking about how amazingly well he pulled off some
hack and another about the stimulating it is to work with people who "live
for it", would also be utterly illegal! I kinda liked the fact that the
Internet was like a wild west, law is local and everything is possible and
permitted. It being digital people wouldn't get quite so hurt if things
went wrong. Now with security and size came legal matters. The funny thing
to observe is that those who bring in the law have no idea of what's going
on, they are (literary!) from another world! But with there laws the first
thing they banned were the vigilante's, the criminals are still there. Some
aren't building fences because the police will come busting everyone who
passes into their backyard anyway, people become defenseless!

Let's hope we get to keep enough of our freedom to do things wrong. Let's
prevent ignorance with danger.

-Lewis