[cryptography] implementation of NIST SP-108 KDFs?

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 18:11:51 EST 2011

Adam,

On Wed, Dec 28, 2011 at 5:51 PM, Adam Back <adam at cypherspace.org> wrote:
> As there are no NIST KAT / test vectors for the KDF defined in NIST SP 108,
> I wonder if anyone is aware of any open source implementations of them to
> use for cross testing?

I am not aware of any NIST test vectors, but ESAPI Java does have a FOSS
implementation (under the new BSD license) at:
<http://owasp-esapi-java.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/src/main/java/org/owasp/esapi/crypto/KeyDerivationFunction.java>
that you could try comparing results to. It should be noted that we
interpreted section
7.6 of NIST SP 800-108 to imply that the "context" should be _optional_
rather than required (it says "SHOULD" rather than "MUST"), so we set it to the
empty string by default.

In addition, Jeff Walton (CC'd) is working on a C++ port of the ESAPI
Java crypto,
so he may have a working C++ implementation that he can point you to.

If you get different results than what ESAPI's KeyDerivationFunction produces
or if you run across any NIST test vectors, I would appreciate it if you could
let me know.

Thanks,
-kevin
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein