[cryptography] Bitcoin observation

Taral taralx at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 17:55:25 EDT 2011

2011/7/6 lodewijk andré de la porte <lodewijkadlp at gmail.com>:
> I find the phrasing very strange. You cannot "destroy" a bitcoin, only
> render it practically beyond recovery. You could still recover it by
> figuring out which account's full of money and brute forcing their private
> key from their public key and transaction log, it's not likely to be
> feasable anytime soon though.

As I said earlier, it is entirely possible *at the protocol level* to
create transactions that transfer money into black holes that are
unrecoverable -- no amount of crunch will recover them. None of the
generally available interfaces expose this, however.

--
Taral <taralx at gmail.com>
"Please let me know if there's any further trouble I can give you."