[cryptography] OTR and deniability

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Fri Jul 15 12:45:08 EDT 2011

On 07/14/2011 01:59 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:

> did the first party hack into the second party's computer and plant
> the log file?  had someone else hacked into it and used it to talk
> with the first party? -- but that's also outside the crypto
> protocol.
>
> Put another way, the goal in a trial is not a mathematical proof,
> it's proof to a certain standard of evidence, based on many different
> pieces of data.  Life isn't a cryptographic protocol.

The interesting thing in this case though is that the person providing
the plaintext log file is:

a) a convicted felon
b) working for the investigators/prosecutors (since before the purported
log file's creation?)
c) himself skilled in hacking

I haven't heard anything about any other evidence that may exist, but
just a text file by itself (or perhaps even the informant's computer as
a whole) doesn't seem particularly credible to me.

- Marsh