[cryptography] bitcoin scalability to high transaction rates

Marsh Ray marsh at extendedsubset.com
Thu Jul 21 01:37:07 EDT 2011

On 07/20/2011 08:24 AM, Ian G wrote:

> Yes, sure, but:
>
> 1. we are talking about high frequency trading here, and speed is the
> first, second and third rule. Each trade could be making 10k++ and up,
> which buys you a lot of leaches.
>
> Basically, you have to get the trade down to the cost of a packet, delay
> and two secret key ops. Indeed, if you can measure the delay of the
> secret key op, we might be encouraged to pre-calculate shared PRNG
> streams so as to speed up the encrypt/decrypt cycle.

I once spoke with some engineers who built and run one of those
high-speed electronic trading networks/exchanges. Their time to match
trades was something like 50 microseconds. Their serious members
colocated their trading systems in their datacenter because it was so
critical to eliminate the propagation delay.

I guess I don't see the need to do bitcoin crypto transactions at that
speed any more than the other high-speed exchanges need to rapidly move
stock certificates, hard cash, or perform ACH/EFTs.

> (Gee I wonder if I should file a patent on that idea :P )

Maybe you could be the next Certicom!   ^_^

> This and other aspects of high frequency trading forces a credit
> exposure to the trades, which requires someone to step in and control
> that credit.

But the term "high speed electronic exchange" seems to mean exactly
this, almost by definition.

- Marsh