[cryptography] bitcoin scalability to high transaction rates

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jul 21 04:44:46 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-21 6:35 PM, Nicholas Bohm wrote:
> On 21/07/2011 03:01, Daniel Carosone wrote:
>>  On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 08:25:40PM +0300, lodewijk andr? de la porte wrote:
>>>  I personally still worry about how big the early bird bonus was, someone
>>>  estimated the earliest of participators had a million of bitcoins.
>>  If/since bitcoin posessess the full history log and lacks the privacy
>>  characteristics discussed here, this should be readily verifiable.
>>  Conversely, if this can't be verified, perhaps the drawbacks aren't so
>>  great in practice as has been presumed?  It seems like an interesting
>>  test.
>
> Those interested in what is on record may want to look at http://blockexplorer.com/

This information, without IP numbers, is unlikely to be very useful in
tracing transactions, because a single individual has many Bitcoin
addresses.  The state cannot trace the flow of money between two
addresses located on the same computer, unless it knows it is the same
computer

If, however, the state was to massively trace all or most bitcoin
transactions to connect this data to IP numbers, it could do something
with that information - except that all the transactions it was
interested in would probably go onto tor.