[cryptography] bitcoin scalability to high transaction rates

Sampo Syreeni decoy at iki.fi
Thu Jul 21 11:41:08 EDT 2011

On 2011-07-21, Marsh Ray wrote:

> I guess I don't see the need to do bitcoin crypto transactions at that
> speed any more than the other high-speed exchanges need to rapidly
> move stock certificates, hard cash, or perform ACH/EFTs.

That's probably true. But then, HST is just an example of a mechanism
which creates prodigious amounts of transaction data. There are others,
starting simply with wide enough adoption of Bitcoin. So if the amount
of transaction data being shipped around can become a bottleneck here,
it could indicate a scalability limit on Bitcoin in more realistic
situations.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy at iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-50-5756111, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2