[cryptography] Current state of brute-forcing random keys?

Alexandre Dulaunoy a at foo.be
Fri Jun 10 01:20:53 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 4:34 AM, Sandy Harris <sandyinchina at gmail.com> wrote:

> One indicator is the Copacobana machine, built from FPGAs, The first
> version a few
> years back cost 9,000 euro and broke DES in a week. There's a later version.
> http://www.copacobana.org/

Concerning COPACOBANA, there are now "productized" version of their FPGA
and a new version called RIVYERA with a flexible layer of FPGAs.

http://www.sciengines.com/products/computers-and-clusters.html

On this page:

http://www.sciengines.com/solutions/crypto.html

They claim to do 119k million keys per sec for AES-128 on a 128 FPGAs
RIVYERA model.

This information could be used as a weak basis for "estimating" how
custom-built FPGA device performs.

--
--                   Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/
--                             http://www.foo.be/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/Diary