[cryptography] Digital cash in the news...

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Tue Jun 14 11:44:47 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:17 AM, James A. Donald <jamesd at echeque.com> wrote:
> On 2011-06-14 2:19 PM, Steven Bellovin wrote:
>> In my opinion, the post you
>> were replying to is worse than impolite; it's racist crap that
>> -- apart from being factually incorrect  -- is utterly irrelevant
>> to anything even vaguely connected to this list.
>
> The question is, should we rely on cryptographic enforcement transactions,
> in which case bitcoin or something like it is a good idea, or state
> enforcement of transactions, in which case it is a bad idea.

That's the question?  No.  The question is: how can you not be embarrassed?

> The character of the transactions enforced by the state indicates that
> something like bitcoin is a good idea.

Utter nonsense.  Crypto will NOT protect you from the state.

> I am pretty sure that you would find any accurate depiction of those
> transactions racist and offensive.  Indeed, the reason people find it
> strangely difficult to accurately report what happened is because race was
> absolutely central to what happened.  The US government is throwing money at
> voter blocks defined by race, destroying the financial system in the
> process.  In other countries, the government is also using the banks to
> throw money at voter blocks, but for the most part not racially defined
> voter blocks.

You use racial epithets and racist theories based on generalization
from anecdotes, and won't address that when challenged.  How can you
expect to be taken seriously?

Nico