[cryptography] crypto & security/privacy balance (Re: Digital cash in the news...)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jun 15 17:51:40 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-15 6:22 PM, Adam Back wrote:
> Then there are countries where crypto is officially or effectively already
> banned - there being caught with privacy tech on your laptop, cell phone
> etc
> would be dangerous.

Which, however, tend to be the countries where there is lots of privacy
tech on people's lap tops.

Consider Al Quaeda.  The US, rightly, does not allow anything to limit
its pursuit of Al Qaeda.  The US does not bother with arrests nor
charges, nor worry overmuch about innocent bystanders.  All is fair in
love and war.

Do al Qaeda members say "Oh dear, I guess encryption is out for us.  It
might look suspicious."