[cryptography] crypto & security/privacy balance (Re: Digital cash in the news...)

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Wed Jun 15 18:26:19 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-16 4:47 AM, Nico Williams wrote:
> That's nice, but not scalable.  Scale that up enough and you have
> anarchy, which is just a temporary situation until a strongman takes
> over.

Firstly:
Anarchy always exist.  The state is an island in a sea of anarchy, and
that island increases or diminishes from decade to decade.  In
particular, our banking system is now collapsing as the state pervades
it, for the state lacks both the competence and the moral integrity
needed to operate banking.  Basel was an expansion of that island, and
when the banking system collapses and is bypassed, this will reduction
in the state:

Secondly:
States, a monopoly of force, are not that easy to establish.  It took
the Taliban nine years, using the most horrifying and desperate means,
to establish state authority in Afghanistan after communism fell.

For a single authority to make itself supreme, to attain a broadly
accepted monopoly of force, is invariably long, costly and terrible,
requiring at best the means the Sherman applied in his march to the sea,
at worst the methods that Taliban applied.