[cryptography] bitcoin scalability to high transaction rates

James A. Donald jamesd at echeque.com
Thu Jun 16 21:49:50 EDT 2011

On 2011-06-17 4:35 AM, Sampo Syreeni wrote:
> Since I've been forced to take yet another look into BitCoin and
> algorithmic (high frequency) trading within a short timespan, I began to
> wonder how they would work together. What precisely would happen to
> BitCoin if we had tens to tens of thousands of high frequency traders
> (thousands of transactions per second per trader) within the network?

The obvious next step is to have chaumian money and account money which
has rapid low cost transactions, which money is converted into bitcoins
at leisure, analogous to having gold, and account money and banknotes
backed by gold.

We should have accounts backed by bitcoins, and banknotes (chaumian
money) backed by bitcoins.