[cryptography] Intel RNG

Jack Lloyd lloyd at randombit.net
Sat Jun 18 09:09:50 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 07:55:59PM +1200, Peter Gutmann wrote:
> James Cloos <cloos at jhcloos.com> writes:
>
> >From p 8-15 of 319433-011.pdf, I presume that the assembly would look like;
> >
> >     RDRAND eax  ; randomize 32-bit register eax
> >     RDRAND rdx  ; randomize 64-bit register rax
>
> I know what it looks like at that level, but since no assembler (except,
> presumably, the one that's part of ICC) will know what to do with 'rdrand',
> I'd like to get the encoded form to implement it as '__asm _emit 0x0F __asm
> _emit 0xC7 __asm _emit <something>' (in the case of MSVC).

It's also supported in (very very recent) GNU binutils. Not much help
now, but by the time Haswell shows up in the wild it will probably
have percolated into the more recent Linux/BSD distros.

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/binutils/2010-07/msg00071.html

Intrinsics for it are also defined, though AFAIK not even ICC supports
them yet.

-Jack