[cryptography] IETF Working Group Charter on Common Interface to Cryptographic Modules (CICM)

Kevin W. Wall kevin.w.wall at gmail.com
Sat Jun 18 19:32:15 EDT 2011

First of all, I must say I apologize to Lev Novikov, as I promised to do this
several months ago, but unfortunately I had completely forgotten about
it. My bad. I hope, better late than never.

There is a IETF working group that is working on defining something that
may interest the readers of this mailing list. According to the CICM working
group charter (at http://code.google.com/p/ietf-cicm/wiki/WGCharter):

        "The Common Interface to Cryptographic Modules (CICM) defines an
        abstract API for the security services provided by cryptographic
        modules developed by multiple vendors. The API is intended to
        support high assurance cryptography, security domain separation,
        and enhanced module, key, and channel management capabilities
        that are vendor neutral."

It's my understanding that CICM (pronounced kick-em) is intended to
be a high assurance crypto alternative to things like PKCS#11 or
GSS-API.

There is to be a BoF session at IEFT 81 to formalize the CICM Working
Group. Information on this particular IETF BoF session are at:
        http://trac.tools.ietf.org/bof/trac/wiki/WikiStart#Security

The BoF session will take place in Quebec, Canada sometime
during the week of July 24-29, the exact date/time TBD.
(Contact Lev, at the addressed I've CC'd about date/time or
subscribe to the CICM mailing list at:
to get details for the 60 minute IETF BoF session.)

Lastly, the Internet Draft is available for your perusal at:
        http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lanz-cicm/?include_text=1

-kevin
We *cause* accidents."        -- Nathaniel Borenstein