[cryptography] IETF Working Group Charter on Common Interface to Cryptographic Modules (CICM)

Novikov, Lev lnovikov at mitre.org
Tue Jun 21 14:17:08 EDT 2011

Nico,

On 2011-06-21 13:36, Nico Williams wrote:
> [...] My concern is that we already have a large number of
> technologies in the IETF for establishing channels[*].  Adding any
> more should require some strong justification for not using an
> existing one. [...] But when we're talking about *new* protocols, we
> need to set the bar pretty high [...].

Just to clarify, CICM specifies the API between the client program and
the crypto module; not the messages used to establish the channel between
the peers (as the protocols you reference do).

Use of those protocols does not obviate the need for a lower level API
that actually interacts with the crypto.

Lev