[cryptography] this house believes that user's control over the root list is a placebo

Ian G iang at iang.org
Sun Jun 26 18:58:29 EDT 2011

On 26/06/11 5:50 AM, Ralph Holz wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Any model that offers a security feature to a trivially tiny minority,
>> to the expense of the dominant majority, is daft.  The logical
>> conclusion of 1.5 decades worth of experience with centralised root
>> lists is that we, in the aggregate, may as well trust Microsoft and the
>> other root vendors' root list entirely.
>>
>> Or: find another model.  Change the assumptions.  Re-do the security
>> engineering.
>
> You have avoided the wording "find a better model" - intentionally so?

:)  It's very hard to word proposals that go against the belief of many,
without being inflamatory.  If it is too inflamatory, nobody reads it.
Even if it is right.  We lose another few years...

> Because such work would only be meaningful if we could show we have
> achieved an improvement by doing it.

Yeah.  So we have a choice:  improve the overall result of the current
model, or try another model.

The point of the subject line is that certain options are fantasy.  In
the current model, we're rather stuck with a global solution.

So, fixing it for CNNIC is ... changing the model.

> Which brings us to the next point: how do we measure improvement? What
> we would need - and don't have, and likely won't have for another long
> while - are numbers that are statistically meaningful.

Right, indeed.  The blind leading the blind :)

> On moz.dev.sec.policy, the proposal is out that CAs need to publicly
> disclose security incidents and breaches.

Yes, but they (we) haven't established why or what yet.

> This could actually be a good
> step forward. If the numbers show that incidents are far more frequent
> than generally assumed, this would get us away from the "low frequency,
> high impact" scenario that we all currently seem to assume, and which is
> so hard to analyse. If the numbers show that incidents are very rare -
> fine, too. Then the current model is maybe not too bad (apart from the
> fact that one foul apple will still spoil everything, and government
> interference will still likely remain undetected).

Except, we've known that the numbers of security patches released by
Microsoft tells us ... nothing.  We need more than "numbers" and
"research" to justify a disclosure.

> The problem is that CAs object to disclosure on the simple grounds that
> public disclosure hurts them. Even Startcom, otherwise aiming to present
> a clean vest, has not disclosed yet what happened on June, 15th this year.

Yes, it's hilarious isn't it :)

> Mozilla seems to take the stance that incidents should, at most, be
> disclosed to Mozilla, not the general public. While understandable from
> Moz's point of view

Mozo are doing it because it makes them feel more in control.  They are
not as yet able to fully explain what the benefit is.  Nor what the
costs are.

> - you don't want to hurt the CAs too badly if you
> are a vendor - it still means researchers won't get the numbers they
> need. And the circle closes - no numbers, no facts, no improvements,
> other than those subjectively perceived.

OK.  So we need to show why researchers can benefit us with those numbers :)

(IMHO, the point is nothing to do with researchers.  It's all to do with
reputation.  It's the only tool we have.  So disclosure as a blunt
weapon might work.)