[cryptography] rolling hashes, EDC/ECC vs MAC/MIC, etc.

travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org
Sat May 21 03:53:47 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 05:18:16PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
> > I wonder if A/V shouldn't use something similar?
>
> The rsync rolling CRC is useful for detecting insertions an deletions
> -- i.e., remote diff.

Right, but right now some anti-virus does hashes over the whole file,
or so I've heard, and so even a single bit flip in a resource (icon)
can defeat some of them.

What'd be nicer is fuzzier matches --- perhaps.

> A function with
> that property isn't a hash function.

How do you figure?
--
http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/
I don't believe in luck.  I believe in the law of large numbers.