[cryptography] rolling hashes, EDC/ECC vs MAC/MIC, etc.

Nico Williams nico at cryptonector.com
Sat May 21 17:00:38 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 2:53 AM,
<travis+ml-rbcryptography at subspacefield.org> wrote:
> On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 05:18:16PM -0500, Nico Williams wrote:
>> A function with
>> that property isn't a hash function.
>
> How do you figure?

Well, to be fair, a rolling hash is a hash function, proper.  It may
well not be what we'd call a cryptographically secure function, and
I'll admit I'm not certain of that, that it is my intuition that a
rolling hash is not cryptographically secure.  I find very little
research on cryptographically secure rolling hash functions (for
laughs though, search for "secure rolling hash"), but even so, I'm
having second thoughts about my statement above.

Nico